Thursday 15 November 2012

QLK 520 Communication Skills for Teachers

Reflection on the CST course (there is no specific word count for this, but it should be no longer than one page).

Please answer the following question based on your experience in the QLK 520 CST Blended Module:
  • To what extent do you think you will be able to apply what you have learned in this course to your future teaching career?
    • Please answer in terms of the communicative skills you have learned as well as the "blended aspects"  the online and F2F elements of the course.
    • Support your answer with examples if possible.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The range of application of the skills acquired through this course is very large. Thus, I will personally agree that I can and will be able to apply what I have learnt in this course to my future teaching career, to a very large extent.

Although, I have not opted for any F2F modules for this course, I feel that the incorporation of the option of undergoing your lessons at home and then reflecting on it online, is a very good move. This idea not only gives adults like us the space and flexibility we need to plan our schedule properly, it also gives us the freedom to make informed decisions about our own educational needs. This idea also challenges us to take charge of our own learning and instills in us a sense of responsibility. Hence, the concept of having "blended aspects" in lessons, is in itself, a very good strategy which I foresee myself employing when I embark on my teaching career in the future. However, it is equally important to analyse the setbacks this method of teaching can pose, so that I will be able to tweak this concept and apply it appropriately on my students in a manner which is most beneficial to them.

The other useful aspects of this course that I have learnt can be categorized under the heading of communicative skills. The variety of skills learnt in modules such oral communication, verbal communication, written communication etc. can be applied in many situations I will be encountering as a beginning teacher in the near future. I found the tips in the voice production and vocal health module especially useful. I am very positive that I will be applying some of the techniques shared in this module to maintain a good voice when i become a qualified teacher. The skills learnt on writing emails, testimonials and letters with the appropriate use of language and tone relevant to the purpose, audience and context of the letter/email/testimonial will come in very handy when I am required to write to my superiors or even to my stakeholders after I become a teacher.

The list of skills I have mentioned in this reflection is not exhaustive. There are several more useful techniques and skills I have picked up from this module, To sum it up, this communication skills module has proved to be an important module for beginning teachers like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment